Re: Another sysv-rc problem on Lenny to Squeeze upgrade

Sven Joachim wrote:
> Ken Heard wrote:
> > Bob Proulx wrote:
> >>   dpkg -l | grep ^rc
> >
> > I ran this command and found about 120 packages labelled "rc".  Is there
> > a command to remove all such packages in one swell foop?
>
> aptitude purge "~c"

And for apt-get command line folks such as myself:

Get just the list of 'rc' packages:

  dpkg -l | awk '/^rc/{print$2}'

After review, remove that list:

  dpkg --purge $(dpkg -l | awk '/^rc/{print$2}')

> Back up your /etc directory before you do that!

Definitely!  The purge action will remove files from /etc.  If the
files are backed up then anything you do that later becomes known to
be a problem can be recovered from.  (Hey, I was using that!)  The
/etc directory on most systems is fairly small (20M on my machine)
making backup very quick and easy.

Bob