Re: Another sysv-rc problem on Lenny to Squeeze upgrade

On Thu, Dec 15, 2011 at 09:31:42AM -0500, Ken Heard wrote:
> While the command "apt-get dist-upgrade" was running in one of my boxes
> yesterday the following message was received:
>
> > Configuring sysv-rc
> >
> > Unable to migrate to dependency-based boot system.
> > Tests have determined that problems in the boot system exist which prevent migration to dependency-based boot sequencing:
> > insserv: There is a loop between service mountall and checkfs if started,
> > insserv: loop involving service checkfs at depth 9,
> > insserv: loop involving service cryptdisks at depth 8,
> > insserv: There is a loop between service mountall and lvm2 if started,
> > insserv: loop involving service lvm2 t depth 8,
> > insserv: loop involving service mdadm at depth 6,
> > insserv: loop involving service mdadm at depth 2,
> > insserv: loop involving service networking at depth 12,
> > insserv: loop involving service mountall-bootclean at depth 12,
> > insserv: loop involving service rsyslog at depth 12,
> > package hdparm removed but not purged,
> > package lisa removed but not purged,
> > package lm-sensors removed but not purged

Start with these three. You have initscripts for packages that you no
longer have installed. This means they have no hope of being updated to
the new standard.

# apt-get purge hdparm lisa lm-sensors

should get you on your way. Try reconfiguring sysv-rc at this point and
see if things have been fixed. If not, ensure that all those packages
owning the initscripts mentioned are up-to-date, then try reconfiguring
sysv-rc again.

--
Darac Marjal