Re: Unmark auto without apt-mark or aptitutude?

Malte Forkel wrote:
> I'm writing a transitional package to handle a software name change. The
> transitional package 'depends' on the new package. So during an upgrade,
> the new package is installed automatically and marked accordingly. But
> once the user decides to purge the transitional package, the new
> packaged would be removed as well.

I have run into that problem too but have not investigated the proper
solution.  I do not know the proper solution.  I would think
debian-mentors would be the best place to hold the discussion of how
to do that upgrade package.  It is a common problem and so I would
expect that a standard solution would already exist for it.  But the
apt feature is new and therefore it may not be fully cooked yet.  It
would definitely be something I would discuss fully first before
resorting to a hack.  But sometimes the only way is to resort to a
hack and there is precedence for hacks for such things in the package
maintainer scripts.

Bob