Can't install gnome-desktop-environment

Attempting to install gnome-desktop-environment gets me:

gnome-desktop-environment:
 Depends: gnome-core but it is not going to be installed
 Depends: alacarte but it is not going to be installed
 Depends: cheese but it is not going to be installed
 Depends: deskbar-applet but it is not going to be installed
 Depends: gdm3 but it is not going to be installed or
	fast-user-switch-applet (>= 2.24)
 Depends: gconf-editor but it is not going to be installed
 Depends: gnome-system-tools but it is not going to be installed
 Depends: seahorse-plugins but it is not going to be installed
 Depends: totem-plugins but it is not going to be installed
 Depends: libgnome2-perl but it is not going to be installed
 Recommends: gnome-accessibility but it is not going to be installed
 Recommends: gnome-games but it is not going to be installed

...which isn't very forthcoming with information as to why it isn't
installable.  Does anyone have any clues or methods I might use to
install?

I've run into this quite a bit in trying to install various things and
can't quite grasp the why.

Cybe R. Wizard
--
Strength through Unity.