Re: nvidia card fails to see internal screen

  Brian writes
> On Sun 11 Dec 2011 at 15:13:13 +0100, Thomas Krichel wrote:
>
> >   I am using wheezy on my laptop. It has the nvidia card. Hardly a few
> >   months go by without trouble with this. I believe the touble started
> >   with the recent update to 290-10 of xserver-xorg-video-nvidia
> >   packaged. I don't know how to downgrade, the snapshot server seems
> >   down.
>
> You are going away, You want to see something on the screen of your
> laptop. At the moment you have nothing visible and you think the nvidia
> proprietry diver is playing up. It's an emergency. You don't have time
> to be upgrading, downgrading or investigating what may be wrong.
>
> Why not use the nouveau driver?

  I tried that earlier even before writing to the list.

> It should be on your system. Does nouveau support the adapter? Purge
> nvidia things from the system. Move xorg.conf out of the way and
> reboot.

  Mike Vieau "plain Jane vesa" got me to the idea to try that.
  I installed the vesa driver, and it failed with

vesa: Ignoring device with a bound kernel driver

  That's self-explanatory even for a kernel dunce

trabbi:~# rmmod nvidia
trabbi:~# rmmod nvidiafb

  I now have a working X with vesa. Granted it's not the finest of
  resolutions but it will get me by for the moment.

  Thanks to all who respnded to my mail. If you make it to NYC
  let me know, I will take you out for beers.

  Cheers,

  Thomas Krichel                    http://openlib.org/home/krichel
                                      http://authorprofile.org/pkr1
                                               skype: thomaskrichel