Re: nvidia card fails to see internal screen

> You are going away, You want to see something on the screen of your
> laptop. At the moment you have nothing visible and you think the nvidia
> proprietry diver is playing up. It's an emergency. You don't have time
> to be upgrading, downgrading or investigating what may be wrong.
>
> Why not use the nouveau driver? It should be on your system. Does
> nouveau support the adapter? Purge nvidia things from the system. Move
> xorg.conf out of the way and reboot.

It might be, the nouveau driver might be the problem. I had had the same
problem with a Nvidia 8400M (on my notebook).

the solution was, to delete the nouveau driver from the kernel. Yes, you read
correctly: delete! Just blacklisting did not solve the problem.

Another problem appeared (which was my fault), with a self built kernel. When
I remember correctly, I forgot either to build in the vesa module into the
initrd or to built it directly into the kernel itself. However, this never
happened with a stock kernel, of course.

With any stock kernel, the problem with older nvidia cards was mostly an
incompaility version with nvidia-kernel and nvidia-glx, or an interference
with the nouveau driver.

Another solution can also be, to choose the "nv" driver in /etx/X11/xorg.conf
or /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/xorg.conf.  Yes, I know, the newer xserver-xorg
does not need one, but if one exists, it will be used.

You can create one for testing purposes. There are examples in the web.

Good luck!

Hans