Re: gnome3 and nvidia kernel module

On Sun, 11 Dec 2011 16:55:24 +0000, kuLa wrote:

> On 11/12/11 14:45, Camaleón wrote:
>> On Sat, 10 Dec 2011 11:53:15 +0000, kuLa wrote:
>>
>>> just yesterday after upgrade on testing strange issue appeared. Gnome3
>>> stopped to start with gnome-shell in favour on Gnome Classic. Some
>>> tests showed that popper module is loaded but gnome/gdm3 can't
>>> see/recognized it.
>>
>> By "proper" module you mean the nvidia closed source driver or nouveau?
>
> By proper I meant proprietary nvidia driver as gnome-shell is not
> working nouveau .

Then open a bug report for that. I mean, for nouveu failing.

Nouveau driver is the only nvidia driver officially supported for gnome-
shell, if it does not work we are completely stuck (kernel devels tend to
reject bug reports when closed drivers are "tainting" the kernel).

>>> And now the strange part; restart of gdm3 is bringing me a gnome-shell
>>> without any other action required.
>>> Any ideas what it might be?
>>
>> Look at the logs, either system logs located at "/var/log/*" and also
>> your "~/.xsession-errors".
>
> That was 1st what I did, no errors up there (in any of the logs) just
> some warnings related to fonts or xinerama which I'm not using.

When gnome-shell refuses to load for whatever reason, it prints anything
to ~/.xsession-errors". Upload this file somewhere so we can review it.
Also, check the content of /var/log/syslog and /var/log/dmesg not just /
var/log/Xorg.0.log

Greetings,

--
Camaleón