Changing helper applications triggered by KMail using Gnome DE

Hi list

How does one change or configure the applications triggered by KMail within a Gnome DE?

For example, if I click on a KMail link indicating a *.pdf file from the web it open Xpdf which, while a fine application in its own right, is not what I want triggered - I'd rather use acroread. Similarly, with a URL that ends in *.swf VLC is opened and cannot load the weblink.

I've looked on the web and the suggestions available given my search string seem specific for SuSE and suggest that the configuration is done via Konqueror. Under System > Preferences > Preferred Applications nothing seems relevant either.

Is there a trick to this or is really a case of configuring this via Konqueror because it doesn't seem possible via KMail directly.

TIA for any help.

Cheers

AG