Re: New laptop with Linux preinstalled

On 12/09/2011 04:29 PM, Richard Owlett wrote:
I'm looking for a laptop with Linux preinstalled by vendor. I'm aware of System76 who ships with Ubuntu. Is there anyone else? I would like to do some comparison shopping.

Thank you.

I think I've heard that Asus will ship with Linux, and perhaps also eMachines, altho from what I read, eMachines does not have a good record. All vendors I've read about ship with Ubuntu, so if you don't want that, you'll have to install something else yourself, and/or set up a dual boot with 2 Linux distros. That works fine--I have 3 distros plus XP on this Dell laptop. From any of the Linuxes, you can access the files the others and XP. Unfortunately, I can't access the Linux files from XP. If I had set up the Linuxes on exp2 or exp3 I think I could have found a program that lets XP communicate with
them, but I didn't.

Hint: if you run more than one Linux distro, within each Documents directory, put a filename that says pclos, or ubuntu, or whatever, so when you select a partition, you can figure out what system you're accessing. Otherwise it gets confusing! There might be an easier way, but I don't know it.

--doug