OT: C|Net's Download.com adware, spyware, malware hijinkx.

Sorry for the cross post I hadn't seen any chatter about this on the lists. It
would seem that Download.com got caught with their pants down and were
re-wrapping F/OSS with their own installer and bundling adware, spyware
and malware with it.

NMap's author, over at insecure.org got pretty hot about it and has collected
considerable information on the topic since he learned about it on Monday.

http://insecure.org/news/download-com-fiasco.html

http://seclists.org/nmap-hackers/2011/5

http://seclists.org/nmap-hackers/2011/6

Again, sorry for the cross post, but I know how I would feel if this were done
to me (I'd be pretty pissed!) So flame me later for cross-posting and if your a
software developer who also makes software for Windows users, then go and
check your stuff if it's listed on download.com.

So far, paint.net's software, VLC, NMap and emergeDesktop were affected.
Being a part of emergeDesktop's community, I know the author their has
instructed the community to not download his software from download.com,
I'm not sure what steps have been taken for paint.net and VLC though.