Re: audio over HDMI

El 2011-12-03 a las 20:51 -0500, Rob Owens escribió:

(resending to the list)

> On Sat, Dec 03, 2011 at 11:45:23AM +0000, Camaleón wrote:

> > > I upgraded to Wheezy and am having some success.  I have sound in
> > > MythTV, by specifying the audio device to use.  How can I get
> > > applications such as Rhythmbox to use HDMI audio?  Pulseaudio is
> > > installed on my system, but I don't have any desktop environment (so no
> > > gnome sound properties dialogs).  I'm running Openbox.
> >
> > In the past, the usual way for doing this was by setting the choosen
> > audio card as the deafult device for ALSA, to redirect all of the output
> > sound there.
> >
> OK, I've created /etc/asound.conf as follows:
>
> pcm.!default {
>     type hw
>     card 1
>     device 7
> }
> ctl.!default {
>     type hw
>     card 1
>     device 7
> }
>
> (I got the card and device numbers by running "aplay -l").
>
> This gives me sound for mplayer, for instance.  Rhythmbox and VLC do not
> play any sound, however.  I can get VLC to play by changing the output
> module from "default" to "alsa".

Hum... I also have tried with a custom "~/.asoundrc" file and it seems
it does not make any difference here (running GNOME + gnome-shell +
pulseaudio).

What it works like a charm is selecting the sound device to use from
gnome-shell audio applet but, to be sincere, I don't know from where s
this volume indicator coming from nor its name :-?

> I think that any application that attempts to use PulseAudio (which is
> the default, I think) will not play.  Can anyone suggest a change to
> asound.conf to correct this?  Or maybe the fix has nothing to do with
> asound.conf?

You can try with PA default/suggested applications to control the sound
server, like "pavucontrol", "padevchooser" (I think this is now somehow
deprecated), "gnome-pulse-applet" or whatever applet that integrates
with PA and openbox and allows you to select the output device.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón