Re: Squeeze on 15" laptop, change aspect ratio?

> Hi, Folks --
>
> I'm setting up a laptop as a Christmas gift for my sister; it's an Acer
> Aspire 5250 with Radeon HD 6310.  Netinstall of Squeeze went smoothly enough,
> but the aspect ratio seems wrong (too wide; kinda squashed).  Gnome and Xorg
> are offering only resolutions of 1024x768 and 800x600.  Both have this ratio,
> such that items I know should appear round appear as ovals instead.
>
> I'd appreciate any help or pointers to existing help on this.
>
> Thanks kindly,
>
> --
>
>  -- Jeff --   <http://www.wellnow.com>
>
>  "There's nothing left in the world to prove.  All that's worth doing
>  is to love one another, using whatever means are available to serve."

Hi Jeff,

You can set your screen resolution using xrandr. You can easily find
several howtos; after a quick search I found an ubuntu thread [1] and
a ubuntu wiki page [2] that seemed appropriate to me (though I did not
check extensively, I post them just to give you an idea). Just
remember that those change will not survive a reboot, but you can
automate the execution on every boot. The link I posted should explain
this, too: for instance, you can paste them in
/etc/gdm3/Init/Default.

Hope this helps,
Lorenzo

[1] http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1474910
[2] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/X/Config/Resolution#Adding%20undetected%20resolutions

--
Nothing is interesting if you're not interested.