Re: Upgrading from Lenny to Squeeze

On Wed, 30 Nov 2011 01:35:21 -0500 (EST), Marc Shapiro wrote:

> The problem was that the /etc/uswsusp.conf file (used by s2disk and
> s2both) still had the old swap file listed as the resume device.
> Correcting that and then updating the initrd seems to have solved the
> problem.  At least the system fully boots without requiring any
> intervention.  Unfortunately, s2disk does not work.  When I try (as
> root) to run s2disk I get the 'Can not stat device...' message then.
> Unless I can get this working really soon I am probably just going to
> uninstall uswsusp as I have never used it in the past and don't see much
> need for it on a desktop system that is usually up 24/7.

Excellent!  How were you able to figure this out?  I have no experience
with s2disk.  I don't have it installed, and I've been running Desktop
Debian systems for a long time; so you don't need it.

It could also be that a second reboot solved the problem.  Perhaps
during the first reboot something got written to the swap device,
now that /etc/initramfs-tools/conf.d/resume had valid information,
and that signature was detected during the second reboot.  I really
don't know.  In any case, I'm glad that you can now boot with no
manual intervention.

--
  .''`.     Stephen Powell
 : :'  :