Synaptic 0.70: reporting wrong status for package?

Hi,

Synaptic displays all packages in the "status" overview as one of "auto
removable", "local or obsolete" and "manual". But I do not have any
packages locally or manually installed: I always use Synaptic or apt-get
to do so. Also, removing some of the "auto removable" would result in
removing applications and libraries that are not marked as "auto
removable". The same applies tot "local or obsolete": it results in a
cascaded removal of packages.

Does Synaptic display the wrong status? Or do the descriptions not cover
the meaning? Can I check somehow what the status of a packed is outside
Synaptic?

I am running Debian Testing AMD64, latest updates as for today applied.

TIA

--
Groeten,

Joost Kraaijeveld