Re: looking for a non-RAID SAS PCIe HBA that works with Debian amd64 OOTB

On 11/29/2011 10:31 PM, David Christensen wrote:
> debian-user:
>
> I'm looking for a non-RAID SAS PCIe HBA that works with Debian amd64 OOTB.

PCIe x4, or x8?  How many SAS ports?  Internal or external?  Or both?
Discrete or multilane connectors?

Pick from the cacheless LSI cards at Newegg.  They all work with Debian
6 "OOTB".  Newegg is HQ'd in LA, just down the coast from you there in
Tracy, so shipping should be quick.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007607+50001833+600022629&QksAutoSuggestion=&ShowDeactivatedMark=False&Configurator=&IsNodeId=1&Subcategory=410&description=&hisInDesc=&Ntk=&CFG=&SpeTabStoreType=&AdvancedSearch=1&srchInDesc=

What is your definition of "out of the box" in this case?  It may differ
from mine.  In my definition OOTB *doesn't* mean "everything works
automagically so I'm allowed to be dumb".  It means I don't have to
build a new kernel or manually install driver modules to make the card
work.  In my definition you may have to set some options in the HBA
BIOS, which is normal for this type of product.

--
Stan