Re: [OT] Computer box as earth

On 29 Nov 2011, at 23:57, Mark Panen wrote:

On Wed, 30 Nov 2011 01:28:48 +0200, Mark wrote in message
<[🔎] 4ED56AB0.2090906@gmail.com">[🔎] 4ED56AB0.2090906@gmail.com>:

Hi,

I  have a router right next to my machine and have connected a data
surge arrestor, can i connect the earth of the surge arrestor to the
machine?

I have this:

http://www.apc.com/resource/include/techspec_index.cfm?base_sku=pnet1gb

only thing i am worried about is if there is a surge will it damage my mobo etc?

--
Cheers
Mark

I would not chance that at all.  The job of the earth line in that surge circuit, is as a destination for anything which is shunted before the thyristor breaks the circuit.

I'd rather have that surge hit my $100 router, than reroute it into my $2000 tower.

-- Shaun