Re: USB ID 7392:7811 Edimax Technology Co., Ltd EW-7811Un 802.11n Wireless Adapter [Realtek RTL8188CUS] in debian

On 30/11/11 09:25, Wojciech Zabolotny wrote:
> On Nov 29, 10:50 pm, Scott Ferguson <prettyfly.producti...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 30/11/11 07:06, wzab wrote:
>
>> Did you try:-
>> lsmod | grep rtl819
>> ?
>>

> the above previously returned
> rtl8192cu and rtl8192c_common (now only the second one).
>
> Yes, I had this module installed (that's why I had to disable it by
> renaming rtl8192cu.ko file
> to rtl8192cu.ko.deleted )

I noticed that - you said your dongle was "detected" - not sure whether
you meant found by lsusb (device found in dmesg) or that you got the
firmware loading message in dmesg (device found *and* firmware loaded).

I don't currently have a dongle to test - but I recall a loading message
in dmesg as the firmware is installed.

>> You'd need to enable the *non-free* repository for the module.
>>
>> Perhaps you could file a bug report against it?
>
> Well, but against which package should it be filled?

Probably firmware-realtek *and* your kernel - I'd try and rule out
problems with the module first (rmmod then insmod, and look for errors)
and I'm presuming you got no dmesg errors with the kernel.

> "apt-file search rtl8192cu" returns:
> firmware-realtek: /lib/firmware/rtlwifi/rtl8192cufw.bin
> linux-headers-3.0.0-1-686-pae:
> /usr/src/linux-headers-3.0.0-1-686-pae/include/config/rtl8192cu.h
> linux-image-3.0.0-1-686-pae:
> /lib/modules/3.0.0-1-686-pae/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/rtlwifi/rtl8192cu/rtl8192cu.ko
>
> So probably i should file the bug report against linux-image-3.0.0-1-686-pae?

Maybe.... sorry, but I really don't know whether your problem is the
driver, the kernel, or perhaps udev (I suspect it's a kernel problem) -
but it could be just an issue with that particular dongle's
implementation of the chipset.

>> NOTE: has worked fine for others and I.
>
> Sorry, I don't understand. Do you mean that my recipe worked, or
> installing of some packages from non-free section?

firmware-realtek_0.28+squeeze1_all.deb (and 0.32 from backports) worked
out-of-the-box.
kernels are (fairly stock) 2.6.32-5x's

> BTW. I have non-free repository enbled in this system (e.g. the
> fimrware-realtek is installed from there).

Then perhaps it is the kernel (or udev). I don't currently have a dongle
to test and my experiences are with Squeeze. I'm assuming you're running
Unstable.

Cheers