Re: NNTP server

On Tue, 29 Nov 2011 15:52:35 +0000, Tony van der Hoff wrote:

> My ISP blocks NNTP traffic.

Wow... is the ISP giving you any good reason for such policy?

> To get round this, I propose to use my Squeze VPS, which has direct
> access to the Internet, to collect news articles from a few selected
> groups, and access these over SSH (or something like that).

Just an additional idea.

There are also NNTP servers that can be contacted via nntps:// and so
using a different port (usually 563, instead 119) that could have been
not blocked by your ISP and thus you can access directly from your
computer :-?

> Can anyone advise me on which package(s) to install, bothe on my
> desktop, and on the VPS?

If you want to read the messages directly from the VPS server, you will
have to get a connection (via shh or by using a VNC, depending on your
needs) and then choose the desired newsreader client program (text or GUI
based, there are many options).

If you are planning in setting up a newsserver at the VPS side to act as
a caching news proxy, "leafnode" used to be a good option.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón