Re: Resolved: Can't write to external usb drive as normal user despite efforts

On Sun 27 Nov 2011 at 19:49:53 +0200, SM wrote:

> On Sun, Nov 27, 2011 at 04:07:32PM +0000, Brian wrote:
> > The usual Debian way of dealing with that situation is
> > to give users permission to mount removable devices by putting them in
> > the plugdev group.
>
> Or just install pmount. Plug the device in, do "dmesg | tail" to check
> the device and "pmount /dev/sdb1" to mount it in /media/sdb1.
> Everything done as $USER.

You do need to be in group plugdev to use pmount but it is a nifty
utility and the placing of users in groups does, of course, give much
finer control over who can do what than the methods available in mount.

Using GNOME, however, the mounting and display of files on a vfat
partiton just takes place without any fuss, so I can see why pmount
doesn't attract as much attention.