Re: Resolved: Can't write to external usb drive as normal user despite efforts

On Sat, 26 Nov 2011 16:07:20 -0800, keitho wrote:

> Thanks to Camaleon, John Lindsay, and Chris Brennan for responding.
>
> This statement put into my /etc/fstab seems to have worked, and auto
> mount as well:
>
> UUID=9419-5112	/usb	vfat	uid=1000,gid=1000,utf8,umask=0000 0 0
>
> The UUID is obtained via blkid, the uid and gid are for my keith
> account.

It is *much better* to use the UUID than the mutable "/dev/sdx" :-)

> I still haven't found a good explanation for the umask option- nothing
> in man pages under "umask", very little under pam_umask or pam ...

"man mount" and scroll to "vfat", there are many options you can tweak
(umask, dmask, fmask). A value of "umask=0000" will set the perms of the
USB files to read/write/execute for user/group/others. You can, of
course, adjust this value to something that better suits your needs.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón