Re: KDE activities

On 27/11/11 10:43, Scott Ferguson wrote:
On 27/11/11 20:00, Alan Chandler wrote:
With the problems I seem to be having with Gnome3 (not the problem
that most people have with the shell, which I like - but other
applications which seem to have become flakey - Gedit crashes on
closing a tab, Nautilus FTP doesn't seem to work half the time,
issues I have been discussing here about the applications launched
with file associations ...) I decided to give KDE 4 another try (I
had switched to Gnome from KDE when KDE 4 was first introduced).

I am struggling with the concepts behind Activities, Desktops,
Workspaces and Screens.

Have you read the fine documentation in the KDE Help Centre?
$ khelpcenter

You can also access it from the entry on the Programs Menu, or from the
Help menu in any KDE application.
I'd strongly suggest you refer to Debian specific documentation on KDE.

This is not helped by the fact that I am trying to follow the advice
from various web pages - but I don't seem to see what I should see.

In particular - I use Super Q

What is Super Q?

It is the default KDE Key Combination that brings up the Activity Manager - Super is (I think) the KDE word for the "Logo" key that sits between Cntl and Alt

to bring up the activities manager pane.

Are you talking about "Desktop Activities"?

(many things have "activities").

I am talking about Desktop Activities

This shows I have two activities both named "New Activity".  I
should then right click on a desktop and select "Desktop Settings" I
should see a window with the left pane having three options
"Wallpaper", "Activity" and "Mouse Actions".

That sounds like a description of the "Desktop Activity Manager":-
http://ge.tt/9U7gqQA/v/0

NOTES: Options in the "left-hand pane" are determined by "Activity Type".
In the pictured case the Activity Type is Wallpaper. (the other
"Activity Type" is "Folder View")

That is indeed the screen I was talking about - I think in your notes you mean to say that Options in the Right Hand pane ...

What I was saying is I DON'T see WallPaper and Activity in the Left Hand pane - instead I see Just "View" - but with the same options as you show in the right hand pane - and "Mouse Actions".

Instead I see a window with only two options, "View" and "Mouse
Actions".

Perhaps some screen shots and links to them would better illustrate what
you are asking about?

Unfortunately KDE seems to be particularly unstable - KWin seems to crash on me - so I had to switch back to Gnome3 (but its only a log out/log in away if I need to)

Have I not installed something I should have? or has this changed
and all these web pages are out of date?

What "web pages" are you referring to?

Here is one

http://forum.kde.org/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=90091

Which Debian release are you running?

Sid

This means I am running KDE 4.6.5

What is it that you are trying to achieve?

In order to better understand what the activities were doing I was trying to rename them so they both didn't say "New Activity"

Cheers

--
Alan Chandler
http://www.chandlerfamily.org.uk