Re: Upgrading from Lenny to Squeeze

Oops!  I accidentally sent this reply directly to Stephen.  Sorry Stephen.

On 11/26/11 04:58, Stephen Powell wrote:
> On Fri, 25 Nov 2011 22:42:06 -0500 (EST), Marc Shapiro wrote:
>>
>> I have already read the release notes.
>> My question was, considering what I have done, is it likely that things
>> will 'just work' or is it more likely that I will have issues?
>
> I would not anticipate any major problems, given what you've done up to
> this point, provided you follow the directions in the release notes.
> My only suggestion would be to replace the Lenny backports kernels
> with standard Squeeze kernels.

I did do that. After changing sources.list to point to Squeeze, I ran 'apt-get update; apt-eet upgrade' then I updated the kernel to an actual Squeeze kernel and updated udev and rebooted. After that I ran 'apt-get upgrade' again and rebooted again.

I am not sure of the timing, but I think it was right after upgrading the kernel that my reboot started having issues. After it mounts the root partition, which it does without problems, it complains that it can not stat the swap partition, which is on LVM. If I just press <ENTER> to continue, it goes on just fine and initializes the swap and mounts all of my other partitions which are also on LVM in the same volume group. Right after mounting all of the partitions that it should, it then tries to mount all of my removable drives from /etc/fstab. All of those are are marked noauto, so they should not be getting mounted. Since there is nothing there to mount, I get dropped into a shell to fix things. Since none of those drive SHOULD be mounted I just Ctl-D to get out and the boot process continues on to the end successfully.

The first issue seems to be a timing issue, as it mentions in the release notes. I have not figured out how to pass the 'rootdelay' parameter to the kernel, however. BTW, I am still using lilo to boot, not grub. The second issue just seems really strange, since all of those lines say 'noauto'.

Finally, I did 'apt-get dist-upgrade', which kept me up way too late. I got lots of warnings about lines in /var/lib/dpkg/status having an invalid character in it. These all seem to have been referring to the line

    'Config-Version: 3.1.4_57640_Debian_lenny'
            or
        'Version: 3.1.4_57640_Debian_lenny'

I grepped /var/lib/dpkg/status and found quite a few lines referring to lenny. Shouldn't these all have been changed since I did an update on Squueze repositories? Could these be referring to packages that are no longer in Squeesze and so still have lenny info?

Since my wife uses this computer also and my daughter uses it for schoolwork, I am rather leery of trying another reboot now that I have done the dist-upgrade since it seems to be running fine at the moment. Sooner or later, though, I will have to do so and I would like to resolve these issues.

I would appreciate any help, or ideas on this matter.

Marc