Re: No more GRUB legacy at install time since wheezy?

On Tue, 2011-06-28 at 18:40 +0000, Camaleón wrote:
> On Tue, 28 Jun 2011 13:19:15 -0400, Tom H wrote:

> >> Ah, that's explains all. But I'd say a great percentage of Debian users
> >> do not search for what majority of users seek.
> >
> > I'd include the majority of Debian users too in my statement.
>
> That looks to be a bit optimistic :-)
>
> > Changing the files in "/etc/grub.d/"
>
> Hey, hey... we were talking about what can be done by editing "one" file,
> that is, "/etc/default/grub". Of course, if we start by editing all the
> stuff at /etc/grub.d/* we can make whatever we want but that was not my
> point nor my complain ;-)
>
> > (1) changes the order of your grub menu entries (for example, by
> > renumbering the files), (2) changes the text displayed in those entries
> > (by editing the naming parts of the scripts; for example getting rid of
> > the superfluous "GNU/Linux"in the menu entries), (3) adds custom menu
> > entries (like the guy who added runlevels 3-5 earlier in this thread).
>
> And I will add that all of the above is not what all common users do.
>
> > "/etc/default/grub" controls the options of the "linux" line, the
> > default entry, the menu timeout, the screen resolution, the creation of
> > "recovery" or "os-prober" entries, and the fonts and graphics (if you
> > have/want them).
>
> I, personally, only use to change the kernel line stanza and set some
> default options to prevail after updates (in GRUB's legacy parlance, that
> was "kopt=" value).

> >> Yep, but not all the available options are available from there, or so
> >> says the docs.
> >
> > Which options?
>
> I mean, for instance, "GRUB_DISABLE_OS_PROBER". It is not documented in
> the same file, but there are others. For those, you have to run "info -f
> grub -n 'Simple configuration'" to have access to all of the tweakable
> variables.

> >> You see? There will be ocassions where the user have to jump from
> >> "/etc/ default/grub" to /etc/grub.d and find out what file in there to
> >> modify. With GRUB legacy there were only 1 or 2 files, less error
> >> prone, IMO.
> >
> > See above regarding the use of "/etc/grub.d/".
>
> Yes, but that involves more than one file.
>
> > Again, for the majority of users, in grub1 you edit
> > "/boot/grub/menu.lst" and in grub2 you edit "/etc/default/grub".
>
> Mmm... for editing the kernel line you will have to jump to /etc/grub.d/*
> and is one of the most performed actions...
>
> > The latter's more logical from a design perspective. When I first used
> > Debian, I thought "what's all this rubbish in "menu.lst"? Having the
> > options governing a section of a file included in that file is nicely
> > recursive but pretty weird. Furthermore, having active options preceded
> > by one "#" and comments by two "##" in the automagic kernel section is
> > smart but just as weird.
>
> I also found Debian's GRUB legacy "menu.lst" to be very verbose but I
> liked that way. I also found additional options that were not present in
> [...]

For GRUB 1 I only edited menu.lst and for GRUB 2 I only edit grub.cfg.
All that automation is useless for my needs. For example, how should the
automation know, for what of my kernels 'threadirqs' should be added and
when not to add it? Super cow powers?
It takes seconds to edit menu.lst or grub.cfg and to make a backup of
those files. Unfortunately I found no way to stop the auto-generating
forever, since an upgrade could bring back this grub update thingy.

         (__)
         (oo)
   /------\/
  / |    ||