Re: Upgrading from Lenny to Squeeze

On 11/25/11 03:16, Stephen Powell wrote:
On Fri, 25 Nov 2011 01:58:13 -0500 (EST), Marc Shapiro wrote:

I have yet to upgrade to Squeeze and I really think that it is about
time.
Is there any reason that I should not just do
'apt-get update; apt-get dist-upgrade' and expect things to 'just work'
as they have in the past?

I recommend that you follow the detailed instructions in the release notes.

    http://www.debian.org/releases/squeeze/releasenotes

Many people worked many hours to come up with these migration instructions
to minimize problems; and when experience talks, it pays to listen.
Not all steps may apply to you.  (For example, you may not have any packages
on hold.)  But you should do all the steps that do apply to you and in the
recommended order.

I have already read the release notes. As I mentioned, I have already upgraded the kernel and udev. I had not mentioned that all of the devices in /etc/fstab are using non-ambiguous names (/dev/mapper/* since I am using LVM) but that is the case. I am not using any of the depreciated or obsolete packages as far as I can see. I do have Firefox from Mozilla installed, but I do not think that should be an issue.

My question was, considering what I have done, is it likely that things will 'just work' or is it more likely that I will have issues?

Marc