Behavior of samba shares when accessed by win7

I keep two major directories available thru samba to win7 machines on
my lan.

A peculiar thing happens when ever I first access them after a reboot
on windows. (I think a reboot of linux or even a restart of samba
would cause the same thing).

When, in wind7 gui, I click on the shares, I'm prompted for the
credentials.  The credentials are rejected, but as soon as leave that
dialog the share opens with full access.  Its a bit confusing.

I haven't pared down and cleaned up smb.conf for a very long time but
the basic setup (not the share names and such) was established when I
moved from gentoo linux to debian.  (Fairly recently)

I left all comments alone even though it makes it much longer, in case
it was pertinent to also see what is NOT enabled.

Its 500+ lines so have attached rather than inlined  smb.conf below: