Resolved mostly: Help with CUPS- printing from Windows to Debian print server

OK, I fixed my immediate problem by changing the permissions for
/home/smbprint/ like this:

#chmod 777 /home/smbprint/

Now I can print from any Windows box to my Debian CUPS server.

My understanding of security is very weak; luckily I am just working on my
home setup. But I thought the whole point of the instructions in the HOWTO
were to create the user "smbprint" with the required permissions. I was
guessing that any print job coming in (from my LAN) would be considered
owned by user smbprint...is that right?

So I need to study this more, but if anyone cares to explain to me how
this is supposed to work and how to do it properly I would appreciate it.

Thanks,
Keith

> Thanks Pablo for responding, but still no joy.
>
> After hours of trying different things, I finally went in search of log
> files in Samba. I found that there were different relevant log files  in
> /var/log/samba depending, evidently, on how I had set things up at that
> time. For example, from yesterday there is a log file called
> "mary-pc.log", which is the name of the Windows 7 pc I am using. After
> changing a few things that file is no longer being written to.
>
> Today there is now a log file "log.__ffff_192.168.1.4" which is the ip
> address of mary-pc. Here are the last few errors written to the log after
> I sent a test print to the CUPS server on my debian machine:
>
> [2011/11/24 12:26:18.737092,  0] printing/printing.c:2492(print_job_start)
>   print_job_start: insufficient permissions to open spool file
> /home/smbprint/smbprn.00000015.ShW8bc.
> [2011/11/24 12:27:31.641587,  0] lib/util_sock.c:474(read_fd_with_timeout)
> [2011/11/24 12:27:31.641783,  0]
> lib/util_sock.c:1441(get_peer_addr_internal)
>   getpeername failed. Error was Transport endpoint is not connected
>   read_fd_with_timeout: client 0.0.0.0 read error = Connection reset by
> peer.
>
> So it would appear that there is a problem with permissions, even though I
> have followed the instructions in the HOWTO. Can anyone help me with this?
>
> Thanks,
> Keith
>
>> You can point the printer in the lower part of the windows box, with the
>> printer url, like
>> http://yourdebianbox:631/printers/yourprinter or something like that,
>> and
>> windows will
>> user ipp protocol to reach the printer. You will have to bring the
>> windows
>> driver to the
>> windows box.
>> Beware of config cups to listen to the hostname ("yourdebianbox"). If
>> not,
>> just use ip number.
>>

>> Regards.
>>
>> Pablo
>>> I have set up a CUPS server on one of my Debian boxes, directly
>>> attached
>>> via parallel port. I can print to it from a different Debian box on my
>>> LAN, but not from a Windows box.
>>>
>>> The Windows box does see the printer, and says the printer is setup
>>> properly and sends jobs to the printer with no errors, but nothing
>>> shows
>>> up. I don't know where to look for error messages, other than the CUPS
>>> web