Re: Debian: A noob query

On Thu, 2011-11-24 at 06:43 -0500, Sam Vagni wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I just want to go into Linux, coming from Windows XP. Just want to
> know if Debian is good to go with and learn then?
>
> Just to clear my doubts that head people saying about its'
> non-compatibility with the newest hardware and not having latest
> technology, is it a myth? Further, I hope I can use easily Flash,
> Java, etc.. if Firefox if I install and go with Debian....
>
> Thanks for the suggestions,
> SAM

Hi Sam & welcome to the world of Linux. I have tried them all as well as
most versions of everything else out there that will run on my
machines..HeHe even Minuet. I just like to try out new stuff. However I
am not any kind of software developer, just a curious person, so when I
need to do a job that requires 'dependable' software, I use Debian. I
have been messing about with Linux since it was developed & required 20
plus floppy disks just to get it to run, so I speak from that vantage
point.
Some bits of advice:
Try out several distros of Linux that are run from a 'Live CD/DVD'. This
is much easier than doing an install and experimenting on your machine.
It also will allow you to test the software on 'your' hardware system.
These CD/DVD can be downloaded and burnt very easily or ordered over the
internet. Another upside of this process is that most of those live CDs
will allow you to actually install a running system to the machine they
are running on.
What ever distro you choose; install midnight commander. It will at some
point save your sanity. It is a superb console or xterminal file manager
& can be run as a superuser very easily.
This mailing list gets repopulated from time to time with folks that are
willing to help with getting you out of most any situation that you run
into. Some are always polite and helpful, some are not so polite but
still helpful. Depends on how you ask a question & if you supply enough
info for them to answer. I sometimes, to this day, forget when I ask a
question, to do that & usually do not get the response I'm seeking. Look
at it from their standpoint. They are 'volunteering' their help as do
the software developers of Linux (some of which frequent this list) so
try not to waste their time. Always try to find your own answers before
you ask here. If you do not, the way you ask the question will show that
you did not. Always Read the manual, or dig on the web, & check the
mailing list archives, before asking your question. Remember that if you
do not get an answer, it likely just means the right person has not seen
the question. I have actually gone for several weeks before someone gave
or pointed me to the info that allows me to find the answer to a
question. Usually if its that tough or 'specific' you just have to keep
trying, without ranting.
NEVER post to the top of a message on this list.
Have fun!
John