Re: Debian: A noob query

2011/11/24 Sam Vagni <sam.vagni@gmail.com>:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I just want to go into Linux, coming from Windows XP. Just want to
> know if Debian is good to go with and learn then?

Debian has a large community and a great development, testing and
packaging organization. Ubuntu is great too by the way, maybe easier
for some point at the beginning.

And have apt which is a very good friend for user :)

> Just to clear my doubts that head people saying about its'
> non-compatibility with the newest hardware and not having latest
> technology, is it a myth?

Yes and no. Depending on the debian version you're using newest
hardware could require newest version of kernel. But compiling kernel
in debian is not so hard ;)

 Further, I hope I can use easily Flash,
> Java, etc.. if Firefox if I install and go with Debian....
All of that are available on Debian (I'm using It) but sometimes the
name (the project) is not the same firefox ---> ice weasel

But to answer directly, yes debian is a good start because, in my
opinion apt make the difference, the package manager is so useful. Try
do install a vm with the squeeze net install cd
http://www.debian.org/distrib/netinst and feel free to get some help
here anytime. Happy to help a new debian user.