Re: Hi, how to change the LC_CTYPE?

On Sb, 19 nov 11, 14:46:19, Bob Proulx wrote:

>   http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=636108
>
> Thank you for that bug reference.  I have to agree that ~/.profile is
> for lowest-common denominator shells (POSIX shells) and not usually
> for any other purpose.  The problem of having one single location for
> setting shell variables has been a problem for a lot of years.

...and there doesn't seem to be any interest to fix it :(

>                                                                here
> is one such bug from 2004.  Note that even though it was eventually
> closed with an upload that it wasn't actually fixed.
>
>   http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=250765

Well, having all Display Managers source ~/.profile is a sort of
solution, but not all maintainers agree. OTOH, introducing yet another
file be sourced would make the solution even more complicated.

> Debian's Xsession sourcing $HOME/.xsessionrc seems to be new since the
> above bug discussions.

I seem to recall it happened during the squeeze release cycle.

Regards,
Andrei