Re: xfce weather plugin broken?

On Fri, 18 Nov 2011 18:59:59 -0500
Pete Orrall <ppatfcb@gmail.com> dijo:

>> > Apparently this affects more than just Xfce users....

>> The Gnome weather applet still works, wonder why the XFce plugin
>> doesn't use the same service?
>
>From what I've read, the xfce weather plugin only uses the one service,
>The Weather Channel (TWC), to provide data.  The Gnome applet uses
>multiple sources.  Basically what's happened is the free (as in beer)
>data feed TWC has provided all these years has been shut offline in
>favor of a non-free version.  Just lovely.

I assume Gnome is using at least one free service. That is, the Gnome
weather applet has no ads and I've never been billed for the years I
have used it.

I assume the developers of the Xfce weather applet are aware of which
services the Gnome weather applet uses. If so, then it must involve a
lot of complex coding to make the Xfce weather applet use the same
service(s). Otherwise it would be fixed.