Re: Sound wheezy/KDE -- testing the microphone

I plugged the microphone into my laptop, ran alsamixer and made sure
that the capture device was not muted and set to a reasonable figure
(using alsamixer) and then issued the command arecord -V mono test.wav
which gave sound file which when played with aplay test.wav, reproduced
the input from the microphone. So I know the mic works.

I am now getting no output from the sound card at all. I used to get
stereo and then, recently, got only the right channel and, now, get
nothing at all. I suspect that my (old) sound card is knackered. So I've
ordered a new Creative Soundblaster from Amazon. We shall see what we
shall see.

--
Dr S Mountbatten