Re: UCARP Behind NAT

On 11/14/2011 6:09 PM, Chris Snyder wrote:

> I'm guessing, after a bit more research, that what is happening is the
> router is keeping an ARP cache. It looks to be set at around 5
> minutes.
>
> I was under the impression that UCARP used a virtual MAC address, but
> that doesn't seem to be the case. Maybe that's how it works in FreeBSD
> with CARP, but not in the UCARP implementation of the protocol?
>
> Is there a way to get UCARP to use a virtual MAC address? Or perhaps
> sour the ARP cache or reset that cache when an interface takes over as
> the master?
>
> Does anyone have an idea if I'm at least on the right track here?

Yes.  Took ~5 minutes to find the answer.

1.  Google for UCARP, click first hit
2.  Access the README file on the UCARP download page

From:  http://download.pureftpd.org/pub/ucarp/README

"...And last, but not least, you can use a script that will connect to
your switches and flush their ARP cache. Some users reported that
transitions were way faster when also switching MAC addresses."

--
Stan