Re: "capturing" console resolution from auto-detection for when KVM switched away?

On Mon 14 Nov 2011 at 21:48:05 -0500, Dan B. wrote:

> When I boot with my monitor connected (through a KVM), I end up with
> high-resolution virtual consoles (67 rows by 240 columns).
>
> However, when I boot with the KVM switched away, then since the
> kernel/etc. can't auto-detect my monitor, I get lower resolutions
> (48 rows by 128 columns, or 25 by 80 once).

Have you got that the right way round? My experience is that with a KVM
the monitor's EDID may not get passed to the computer.

> Of course, I'd like to force it to use the higher resolution regardless
> of which computer my KVM is switched to when this computer boots.

Something like

  video=DVI-1:1280x1024

as a kernel parameter (when KMS is used) works for me.