Re: Can we stop whining about GNOME3 please?

On Mon, 14 Nov 2011 19:17:52 +0000, Joe wrote:

> On Mon, 14 Nov 2011 13:06:42 +0000 (UTC) Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>

>> GNOME developers provide lots of information about GNOME3 and the new
>> gnome-shell:
>>
>> https://live.gnome.org/GnomeShell
>>
>> You can use that page as a start point to get a clue on why your VGA is
>> not capable of running gnome-shell.
>
> I think, as usual with Linux graphics, that we are talking drivers here.

Of course. "ghome-shell" needs and VGA driver with 3D acceleration, so
when it's not available it defaults to the fallback mode.

> I don't really think this is fixable. The MB is two-three years old. So
> not old enough to write off as useless, but not brand-new either. If it
> was new, it would be understandable that the graphics drivers were not
> ready yet. When the driver isn't there for something two to three years
> old and as short-lived as a motherboard chipset, I can't see it ever
> happening.

We won't be able to tell you if it is fixable or not unless you tell us
whats your VGA hardware and what driver are you using.

>> If you are dissatisfied whith the current level of information, you can
>> help to improve it. And if you experience any error when login to your
>> session, you can review the current open bug reports gnome-shell
>> package it has and yo will see that you're not alone. In the end,
>> you're running testing/sid, right?
>>

> Indeed so, and not being a systems programmer, I do my best in helping
> to spot bugs.

Did you already open a bug for this issue?

> I've run sid long enough to have weathered quite a few
> storms, particularly with X and grub, but whenever there was a problem,
> I could expect *enthusiastic* support.

"Enthusiasm" has its limits, sir. We are plain users, not gnome-shell
developers, so we can tell you where to start to look for to solve the
problem but we cannot fix it :-)

> There were FAQs for people with difficulties, and announcements at the
> time of upgrade if there were any important changes to how a package
> was configured or operated. A new system, whatever it is, is someone's
> baby, and they are proud parents and want everyone to admire it.

I have not seen any notice or warning for other major upgrades, like
kernel versions (2.6.39 → 3.0). This has broken my wifi... such is life.
As I'm running "testing" I should know it's a permament moving target,
until it gets freezed so here (in testing) package updates are more than
welcome.

> I'm probably not being clear here, it isn't any lack of information that
> I have a problem with, it is the level of helpfulness and willingness to
> help someone with problems, and indeed the willingness to use the
> existing facilities to warn of upgrade difficulties and suggest a
> methodology to resolve them. The piece I quoted from the Gnome website
> says to me very clearly that people with older hardware should expect
> little or no help. Possibly the original message was written in
> something other than English, and the translation left a bit to be
> desired, but it came across to me as a touch arrogant, and as I said,
> not the way I've come to expect Open Source people to sound.

I think you are completely wrong here. People running old hardware (and I
refer older than 5 years or so) is covered by the fallback mode which is
another flavour you can use to run GNOME3.

> Anyway, thank you for your patience but the deed is done, and I may look
> at Gnome again when I have new hardware. Or I may have become hooked on
> lightweight desktops, as so many people seem to be. When it comes down
> to it, as you nearly said previously, it's only there to run
> applications in a convenient way, it doesn't need to be a work of high
> art or beauty in itself.

You will be very welcome to GNOME when you find yourself prepared to make
the jump.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón