Re: Newly back to Debian/LXDE, now have a blank menu.

Em 14-11-2011 13:30, Cybe R. Wizard escreveu:
OK, I'll admit that I drank the Ubuntu Kook-Aid for a (n unspecified)
number of years.

Now I've returned /home
Welcome home.
preferring to use LXDE/Compiz.
Since you are releasing yourself from chains, do yourself a favor and get rid of Compiz. If you choose to keep using it, don't expect it to run stable.
All was well and good (took some getting used to using su instead of
sudo
You can use sudo on Debian.
the menu came up
completely blank yesterday.  I'm fairly positive I've made no system
changes except setting the background.
It depends of what you understand by "no system changes". Which gui application did you used to change the background? Most of them do things without warning and you can not trust most of the "advanced" gui tools to do somethings. Probably what for you seemed like a "normal and simple background change" could have messed some configuration flies. It depends of what have you installed and most important, what have you uninstalled. If you are using Compiz, well that's the normal behavior. Feel surprised if it works "properly".
Strangely, when I move the panel to the screen bottom the menu contents
return.  Must I keep it there? is  there a work-around?

My google-fu is short, it seems, as I am getting no joy there.

Well if you are willing to stick with LXDE, you should google about Openbox.

Happy Ubuntu-free Linuxing!