Re: Why do I have wpasupplicant installed if I don't have a wifi interface?

On Mon, 2011-11-14 at 03:43 -0500, Rick Thomas wrote:
> Can anybody tell me why I have wpasupplicant installed, even though I
> don't have a wifi interface on this machine?
>
> The machine has a single 10/100 twisted pair ethernet interface which
> is configured "static" in the /etc/network/interfaces file.  It does
> not have any wifi hardware, and (consequently?) no wifi mentioned in
> interfaces...
>
> If I try to deinstall wpasuplicant, it then wants to also remove
> network-manager and network-manager-gnome.  Should I just let it?
> What would be the consequences if I do?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Rick

Try a dummy package. You can build dummy packages with equivs.

http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/apt-howto/ch-helpers.en.html

No knowledge is needed, it just takes a minute.

I replaced some pulseaudio packages for gnome-core and this didn't cause
any issue, but note, dummy packages could cause issues ;).

Hth,

Ralf