Re: GNOME 3 - Help needed - Testing upgraded from GNOME 2 to GNOME 3

Selim T. Erdogan (selim@alumni.cs.utexas.edu on 2011-11-13 05:32 -0600):
> Arno Schuring, 12.11.2011:
> >
> > Ralf Mardorf (ralf.mardorf@alice-dsl.net on 2011-11-11 23:51 +0100):
> > >
> > > Before I run the upgrade I saved a backup of my GNOME 2 Debian. Is
> > > there the need to restore Debian from the backup, or is there a
> > > way to get back a usable DE, by editing GNOME 3?
> > Others have pointed out the fallback mode, but if I try that, X
> > won't start at all (can't find session gnome-fallback).
>
> There's a separate package, gnome-session-fallback, that I had to
> install additionally.  (On sid, a few weeks ago.)  Do you have that
> installed?

Ah thanks for that. No I hadn't, I had assumed it was part of the
gnome-shell package.

And concerning one other gripe:
> >And now that I've touched the xrandr system settings, I can no
> >longer start g-s-d while in Enlightenment because it f***s up my
> >display settings...
$ gsettings set org.gnome.settings-daemon.plugins.xrandr active 'false'

Thanks!
Arno