Re: problems

2011/11/12 Doug <dmcgarrett@optonline.net>:
> On 11/12/2011 09:18 AM, Rob Owens wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, Nov 11, 2011 at 08:47:07PM +0000, HEDDY, WILLIAM wrote:
>>>
>>> To whom it may concern,
>>>
>>> I downloaded and installed Debian on my computer last night and I
>>> rebooted the computer and now all that comes up is a white cursor on a black
>>> screen.  Did I just completely kill my Windows 7 operating system?
>>>

>> You probably just messed up the bootloader.  Try using Super Grub Boot
>> Disk -- it'll try to find whatever operating systems are installed on
>> your hard disk:

Sometimes I find that after installing Debian GRUB doesn't list
Windows, to repair it you just need to:
update-grub

in rescue mode (since normal mode doesn't work)
(at least if you didn't erase your Windows system, which some ppl do
hope you did)

Also if you get white cursor on black screen with pristine
installation my guess is that you have NVidia GPU, which needs
firmware from firmware-nonfree to properly work. You can add
nomodesettings in kernel parameters (just after quiet) to fall back
onto vesa driver.

darkestkhan
Feel free to CC me.
jid: darkestkhan@gmail.com