Getting mail using gnus

My gnus-init-file contains the following:
(setq user-full-name "Sian Mountbatten")
(setq user-mail-address "poenikatu@operamail.com")
(setq gnus-select-method '(nntp "nntp.aioe.org"))
(setq gnus-secondary-select-methods
      '((nnimap "Opera"
	 (nnimap-address "mail.messagingengine.com")
	 (nnimap-authenticator "poenikatu")
	 (nnimap-stream ssl)
	 (nnimap-server-port 993)
	 (remove-prefix "INBOX.")
	 (nnimap-authinfo-file "/home/sian/.imap-authinfo"))))
The file .imap-authinfo contains
machine mail.messagingengine.com login poenikatu password ****** port 993
When I issue the command M-x gnus in Emacs, some messages flash
by in the echo area, but I do not get any mail. Has anybody got
any ideas what I am doing wrong? Any help would be much appreciated.
You might remember that I know very little about Emacs Lisp.