Re: emacs RMAIL -- help needed

Walter Hurry wrote:
> Sian Mountbatten wrote:
> > I have been trying to get an email client which would access my web
> > mail. I've tried
> >   kmail -- which simply does not retrieve the mail balsa -- which asks
> >   for an SMTP address (I don't have SMTP)
> > and I am now using emacs23.
> >
> > Can anybody tell me how to configure RMAIL so that it accesses my mail
> > server.

Look at 'fetchmail'.  Assuming your provider enables something like
IMAP or POP then you can use fetchmail to retrieve your email to your
local machine for reading within RMAIL or any other mailer.  Although
it is arguably better to use an IMAP based mail user agent and leave
the email on your web email provider.  That is what I recommend you do
but I won't stop you from trying it anyway.  :-)

Instead of RMAIL let me recommend 'vm' if you want to read email
within emacs.  RMAIL uses an old format mail spool.  Unless you really
want to use RMAIL then you probably don't really want to use RMAIL.

  http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/CategoryViewMail

> What "web mail"? For gmail and other accounts I use fetchmail/postfix/
> procmail (and spamassassin) to retrieve using IMAP, and process. Works
> perfectly for me. I'm afraid I have never heard of "RMAIL".

RMAIL is an old classic email-inside-of-emacs mode.

  http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/emacs/Rmail.html#Rmail

Bob