Re: Disk performance deteriated to unbearable levels

On 11/09/2011 12:13 AM, David Purton wrote:
On Tue, Nov 08, 2011 at 10:12:17PM -0500, Miles Fidelman wrote:
David Purton wrote:
Since other suggested possible hard drive problems...  What does
smartctl say about the health of your drive?

   smartctl -H /dev/sda

try smartctl -A /dev/sda

that will give you a much longer list of statistics collected by the drive

the one I always look at first is the absolute value of "raw read
errors" - if that's higher than 0, the drive is starting to fail,
and its internal code is spending more and more time trying to read
and re-read data off the media

Interesting command: I wish I'd known about it before I took my other machine down. (It needed more than a disk, but I don't know about the disk.) NB: you need sudo to invoke the command.

--doug