install glitch - re. networking

I find myself in an odd situation:

- I have a box I use as a sandbox, at home - I've installed all kinds of different distributions on it over the past couple of years

- I recently installed OpenSuse with no problems, but then I tried to reinstall Debian (Squeeze) off a CD-Rom, and the installer hangs when it goes off to detect network hardware -- this is repeatable

- if I just let it boot the OpenSuse distro that's currently on the hard drive, everything comes up fine - so the NIC, DHCP on our home LAN, and so forth all are working

- so.... any thoughts on what might be going wrong, or how to track down what's happening?

note: I'm pretty sure that I installed Squeeze on this box at some point, but it could be that the last Debian install was Lenny - and recent discussion suggests that some of the network plumbing has changed, perhaps in ways that are incompatible with my network card.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Miles Fidelman