sun-Java6-plugin w/o Iceweasel?

I have sun-Java6-plugin installed, as well as mozilla-mplayer. Both seem to depend on Iceweasel, or Firefox. I have Firefox installed from the mozilla website and do not want Iceweasel. Iceweasel, however, was installed since aptitude knew nothing about the manual installation of Firefox. When I run java programs that want to display html they try to run Iceweasel, which causes an error, since Firefox is always running on my box. If I close Firefox and let it open Iceweasel then reopen Firefox later, all of my bookmarks are lost and I have to restore them. Generally speaking, this is not working for me. Is there a way to remove Iceweasel without removing sun-java6-plugin and mozilla-mplayer? I suppose that I could remove Iceweasel, java and the mozilla-mplayer, then install java directly from a tarball from Sun, but that still leaves me without mozilla-mplayer. Also, that leaves even more programs that aptitude does not know about, opening up even more potential future problems. What is the best solution to this problem?

Marc