Re: Wifi with squeeze on Lenovo X61s laptop - difficulties

poenikatu@operamail.com wrote:

> Thank you for your tip. I set wlan0 as the wireless device, but wicd
> still said no wireless
> connection.
>
> I have decided to download the latest 3.0.4 stable kernel source from
> www.kernel.org
> and try using make-kpkg to make a new Debian package with the new
> kernel configured
> for my laptop. Watch this space for news. :-)

Well, unlike my previous attempts years ago to produce
custom kernels, 3.0.4 when configured produces kernels which
do not boot or don't work in other ways. Never have I had
so much trouble with creating a custom kernel.

So I looked round for another solution.

Here it is:-
  My laptop now has Ubuntu 11.10 only installed on it.
  My desktop now has Debian/GNU wheezy installed

wheezy gives me internet access, prints files and generally
works. Bye bye squeeze.

--
Sian