Re: squeeze on desktop with Atheros wifi - not accessing wifi

On Tue, 01 Nov 2011 11:39:15 +0000, Sian Mountbatten wrote:

> I have installed Debian squeeze on /dev/sda1, but the kernel does not
> pick up the Atheros wlan0 wifi card.

What you mean by "pick up"?

That the card not detected by the system ("lspci" or "lsusb" will tell)
or that is not configured (see below)?

> Ubuntu 11.10 with a 3.0.0-12-generic kernel picks up the wifi,
> identifies the default wifi network, asks for a password and then it
> opens the wifi network.
>
> It would seem that the squeeze kernel is broken with respect to wifi.
>
> Anybody any ideas for getting wifi working on squeeze?

Squeeze does not ships a kernel with closed firmware blob¹. If you card
needs such file (the firmware) you will have to download manually.

"dmesg" will tell you more about the wifi card issue.

OTOH, Squeeze has an additional hitch with wifi devices: they are
unmanaged by NM when the adapter is listed in "/etc/network/interfaces"
with the default config setup, so this is another thing to check².

You can read more on how to configure your wifi device in Debian's wiki³.

¹http://wiki.debian.org/Firmware
²http://wiki.debian.org/NetworkManager#NetworkManager_in_Squeeze
³http://wiki.debian.org/WiFi

Greetings,