Re: Squeeze: Create LVM from 2x raid5 + 12x 2TB disks

On Tue, Nov 01, 2011 at 12:45:33PM +0100, Denny Schierz wrote:
> With raid5 22TB, which seems to be better ...
>
> But, what is the best?
>
> To create only one big MD is something bad, I think.
>
> On FreeBSD I have with ZFS and 2 x raidz round about 21TB.
>
> any suggestions?

Yes. If you don't know what you're doing, you want RAID-10
across all the disks, no spares.

You will end up with 12TB of space, but complete protection
against any one disk failing, and possibly protection against
up to 6 disks failing.

You also want to enable mdadm scanning and reporting, so you
know when a disk fails.

If you do know what you're doing, all this can change.

-dsr-