Kdesud locking up, JMicron card reader not working, USB 3 Controller stops working after resuming, horizontal tearing on fullscreen

Hello all,

I'm facing some problems with Debian Unstable that are really
annoying. I know how to report bugs, did that several times before,
and that I should ask one question at a time. But in this case, I
decided to first listen to the good folks in this list for input and
feedback (and maybe even solutions!!!), to both report more useful
bugs and see if someone else is facing the same problems that I am, so
the bug report would not be forgotten or simply trashed, as it
happened before. I've tested these problems on two different
computers, one desktop and one laptop.

So here it goes:

1) I use KDE 4.6, the latest version from unstable, and synaptic to
install packages. synaptic needs sudo permissions, and KDE does that
using kdesud. The problem is that sometimes the kdesud process hangs,
and every other call to kdesud gets stalled. I have to go to the
terminal and kill it by hand - after doing that, synaptic and any
other process that calls kdesud works fine. This happens on ALL debian
unstable installations, both desktop and laptop.

2) The laptop has a JMicron card reader that only works if the card is
inserted at boot time.

3) The USB 3 controller on the laptop never worked correctly. It is

USB controller: NEC Corporation uPD720200 USB 3.0 Host Controller (rev 03)
USB controller: Intel Corporation 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset USB2
Enhanced Host Controller (rev 06)

The two USB 3 ports never worked correctly: they disconnect or never
connect usb peripherals, giving xhci_hcd errors like

[ 6135.109318] xhci_hcd 0000:05:00.0: WARN: short transfer on control ep
[ 6135.112271] xhci_hcd 0000:05:00.0: WARN: short transfer on control ep
[ 6135.115274] xhci_hcd 0000:05:00.0: WARN: short transfer on control ep

Only the e-SATA port that uses a USB 2 controller worked consistently.
The problem only gets worse when the computer is suspended and
resumed. No USB port works after the cycle, connecting and
disconnecting any kind of peripheral, with errors like

[ 6203.513297] xhci_hcd 0000:05:00.0: WARN: transfer error on endpoint
[ 6203.513319] xhci_hcd 0000:05:00.0: WARN: transfer error on endpoint
[ 6203.513926] usb 3-1: USB disconnect, device number 2
[ 6207.579588] usb 3-1: new full speed USB device number 3 using xhci_hcd
[ 6207.603530] xhci_hcd 0000:05:00.0: WARN: Stalled endpoint
[ 6207.605496] xhci_hcd 0000:05:00.0: WARN: Stalled endpoint
[ 6207.607532] xhci_hcd 0000:05:00.0: WARN: Stalled endpoint

4) This happens with all video applications on KDE, VLC, mplayer, etc.
When playing in fullscreen, both machines (with Nvidia graphics cards
and the driver from Nvidia), with compositing or not, with opengl
backend or not, vsync enabled or not, any video shows horizontal
tearing.

Any help with these issues, experience, how to solve, or who to
contact to talk about it would be greatly appreciated.

Please CC me as I'm not subscribed to the list.

Cheers