Re: laptop wireless setup, wpa_supplicant.conf, driver ipw not supported? CLI only

On Fri 28 Oct 2011 at 10:01:41 -0700, keitho@strucktower.com wrote:

[Snip]

> If I boot the machine with the Ethernet connected, the system uses that
> connection via eth0. If I unplug the Ethernet I then can't get the
> wireless to work unless I reboot. I have tried:
>
> /etc/init.d/networking stop|start as well as ifdown eth1 ifup eth1

There is a reason why the first command may not work but at this stage it
is probably best you post your /etc/network/interfaces content. The other
commands not working is puzzling. What do you get with -v added to the
command line?

> but still the wireless doesn't connect. How do I "reset" it or somehow
> configure the system to use the wireless subsequent to having the Ethernet
> pulled out, without rebooting the system?

ifplugd is very, very useful.