Debian dial in server -web access under squeeze

trying to create a dial in box from modem to Ethernet (LAN DSL)
using IBM netvista P4 (2.26c 512mb) with external us robotics 56k modem on com2
System is using new Squeeze install (nuked the XP install on the system)- command line no gui--
need to connect a windows box using ppp to this server to use one of our extra IP address assignments (ISP provider simplybits)

Server box will access the net thru eth0 (apt-get update/install works fine)

windows machine can call and log in, can ping local address on box and access its Apache placeholder page
I do not appear to be getting routing, or DNS services - IE explorer times out/ incorrect address, cannot ping external ip

Most of the documentation on this is outdated / and or depreciated on doing this. (the last time I tried this was in DOS 25 years ago). And was not my idea just someone too cheap to buy an ISP service with enough pull at work to wrangle me into it.. and have allready spent a couple of days fussing with it.
 also setting like the /etc/ppp/options file ie MS-DNS,

thanks
Peter