Re: Sharing files on a local network

On Mon, 24 Oct 2011 00:27:46 +1000, yudi v wrote:

> Both, samba and nfs can
>
>> be overkill for sharing a bunch of files and even harder to manage and
>> setup. OTOH, SSH is just a matter of installing the corresponding
>> package and that's all.
>

>> SSH will not only help you to securely transmit the files between the
>> two computers but will also help you to debug problems if for whatever
>> reason the X server crashes. In brief, having a SSH access is not only
>> a great advantadge but a must :-)
>>

> Agreed, but there are quite a few config options in sshd file that need
> to be changed like turning off passwords, no root logon, port #, once I
> forgot to change it from 22 and in few hours I had quite a few attempts.
>  I guess I can bind it to just the LAN interface that way I don't have
> to worry about the nasties on the net.

I don't have those options tweaked (root logins are allowed, passwords
are allowed and port numer is 22... if those are the default settings, I
have not changed them) but I'm behind a NATed DSL router with firewall
facilities and thus ssh port 22 is not open from remote.

If you are using a plain USB modem you should have a firewall to protect
your computer(s), regardless you are using ssh, samba or nfs or nothing
at all (remember that all of them open ports on the host and can be
vulnerable to remote attacks). A firewall is a "must" under that
circumstances.

Additional info:

http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/securing-debian-howto/ch-sec-services.en.html

Greetings,